Monday 10 May 2010

Film Review: ICE AGE 3: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS (2009)


Directors: Carlos Saldanha & Mike Thurmeier
Running time: 90 mins (approx)
Certificate (UK): U

UK Release Date: 1st July 2009

Watched on DVD Monday 10th May 2010.

PLEASE NOTE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

I have watched and enjoyed all of the ‘Ice Age’ movies, they are good family fun. The third instalment is no exception. Very enjoyable from start to finish with plenty of ‘laugh out loud’ moments.

Scrat, the sabre toothed squirrel, has a rival for the acorn he craves so much, a female called Scratte. As they battle for possession of the sacred acorn, to much comic effect I might add, Manny and Ellie are expecting their first child. Diego feels he’s losing his edge and decides he wants to leave the herd and Sid is jealous of Ellie and Manny and adopts three seemingly abandoned eggs. Manny tells Sid to take them back but he doesn’t and finds three hungry baby dinosaurs the following morning. Sid tries to entertain the youngsters by taking them to the playground Manny built, but the babies only end up scaring all the other children away. The real mother then turns up and, having caused some havoc, takes the babies away, along with Sid. Manny, Ellie, Crash and Eddie all follow and Diego ends up chasing after Sid as well. They find themselves in a mysterious underground world populated by dinosaurs and one crazy weasel called Buck. This is where the fun really starts and this is where I’ll leave my little summary. You don’t want me to give the entire plot away do you?

As I said at the beginning, this is a most enjoyable film with plenty of ‘laugh out loud’ moments. I counted six (from me) which makes this a really good comedy in my book. Either that or it pressed all of my laughter buttons! Nice performances from the voice talents of, Ray Romano as Manny, Queen Latifah as Ellie, John Leguizamo as Sid, Denis Leary as Diego, Seann William Scott as Crash, Josh Peck as Eddie and Simon Pegg as Buck.

Over all, it’s a great family adventure with plenty of laughs along the way. As an adult I found the plot a bit simple, but the ‘laugh out loud’ moments made up for that. So, young or old this one’s definitely recommended!

My score: 7.3/10

LINKS:
IMDb Site: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1080016/
Trailer: http://uk.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK/video/imdb/vi3380019993/

No comments: