Friday 24 September 2010

Gig Review: MIKE PETERS at the The Gassienda (Keighley) 23rd September 2010


Mike Peters is most noted for being the lead singer of The Alarm, the 80’s anthemic rock band (that’s how I always saw them anyway). Here he’s just one man with an acoustic guitar, a harmonica and one heck of a lot of great tunes! Not to everyone’s taste, I’ll admit, but I for one enjoyed his perfromance very much.

I can’t claim to know all the songs he played by any stretch of the imagination, but there were several there that I did recall from a long time ago… in a galaxy far, far away… OK, too far, I dial it back a bit. Of course he played the two biggest hits I remember for the Alarm, ‘68 Guns’ and ‘Where Were You Hiding When The Storm Broke’, but it was the other songs that made it a memorable perfromance. Also, The Gassienda is quite an intimate venue, it only holds about 200, and I could see he was a little nervous when he came on stage. Things soon warmed up when he got the first couple of songs out and by the end for the night the room was rocking and I could see he was very much enjoying himself.

I will be definitely looking up some of his back catelog and putting them on the old mp3 player. Would I see him again? I think the answer would have to be a resounding YES. Although I don’t see him coming to Keighley too often… but I’d love to be proven wrong here.

My score: 8.5/10

Official site: http://www.thealarm.com/directaction/index.html

No comments: