Saturday 2 October 2010

Film Review: CLERKS (1994)


Writer/Director: Kevin Smith
Running time: 87 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): 15

UK release date: 5th May 1995

Watched on Sky+ Saturday 2nd October 2010.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

I have heard a lot about this film, most of it has been very positive, so I was quite keen to see what all the fuss was about. What I found was a very interesting low budget black and white film that talks a lot about relationships, human nature and all kinds of crazy stuff. I guess the film is most notable for introducing to the world the characters Jay and Silent Bob, and if you don’t know who those guys are then you’re probably reading the wrong review! But more of that later, here’s a short plot summary before I tell you want I really think.

Dante works in a convenience store. It is his day off but his boss has called him in to cover for him. The day starts normally enough, but he can’t open the main shutters because someone has put gum in the locks. His girlfriend, Veronica, comes in to see him on her way to college. She thinks he could do better and tries to persuade him to join her at college. Dante is stuck in his ways and is happy to stay at the store for the time being. After she leaves, Randal arrives to open the video rental store next door. He spends most of the day closing the video store so he can go and hang out with Dante. It transpires that Dante is still holding a torch for his ex-girlfriend, Caitlin and has recently been in touch with her. When the pair, Dante and Randal that is, discover that Caitlin is engaged to be married, things get really interesting. Throw in a hockey game on the roof, a funeral, a death and the lamest fight scene I’ve ever seen and that about covers it.

I will admit I did find the character of Randal pretty annoying although he did talk a lot of sense in the end. The performances were pretty good although not as polished as I’m used to. So honourable mentions go to; Brian O'Halloran as Dante, Jeff Anderson as Randal, Marilyn Ghigliotti as Veronica, Lisa Spoonhauer as Caitlin, Jason Mewes as Jay and Kevin Smith as Silent Bob.

Although it’s not the best comedy I’ve seen for a while, I can see the appeal of it. There are a lot of crazy characters and some pretty good one-liners that raised a laugh or two. Over all I pretty much liked this film… I can’t say exactly why, maybe it was Silent Bob’s words of wisdom, but over all, it’s recommended.

My score: 6.7/10

LINKS:
IMDb Site: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0109445/
Official Site: http://www.viewaskew.com/clerks/

No comments: