Saturday 23 October 2010

Film Review: TUBE TALES (1999)




Directors (in alphabetical order):
Gaby Dellal (segment “Rosebud”)
Stephen Hopkins (segment “Horny”)
Bob Hoskins (segment “My Father the Liar”)
Menhaj Huda (segment “Grasshopper”)
Armando Iannucci (segment “Mouth”)
Amy Jenkins (segment “Mr. Cool”)
Jude Law (segment “A Bird in the Hand”)
Charles McDougall (segment “Steal Away”)
Ewan McGregor (Segment “Bone”)

Running time: 85 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): 15

UK release date: 19th November 1999

Watched on Sky+ Saturday 23rd October 2010.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

This is a collection of nine short stories centred in and around the London Underground, known by the locals as ‘The Tube’. Each story has a different director which makes for quite an interesting feel to the film. It was originally made for TV but I don’t think that detracts too much from the quality of the piece.

There are some well known actors involved in the project, both from film and (UK) TV. These include, Jason Flemyng, Dexter Fletcher, Simon Pegg, Sean Pertwee, Liz Smith, Denise Van Outen, Don Warrington, Rachel Weisz and Ray Winstone. I particularly liked the performances of Denise Van Outen in ‘Horny’, Don Warrington in ‘Steal Away’ and Ray Winstone in ‘My Father the Liar’. Although all the performances were pretty good.

Over all I found this a bit hit and miss. Some stories were great whereas others just failed to hit the mark. It’s still a very watchable piece, but, I suspect, one you’ll only watch once. I should warn you that there are a few pretty gross things that go on down there, so I advise not watching during a meal. My two favourite segments were ‘Rosebud’ and ‘Steal Away’: Recommended, especially for these two.

My score: 6.2/10

LINKS:
IMDb Site: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0176250/
Official Site: http://www.tubetales.co.uk/flashindex.htm

No comments: