Tuesday 31 January 2012

Film Review: I’M A CYBORG, BUT THAT’S OK (2006)

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK - poster Original Title: Ssaibogeujiman gwaenchanha

Director: Chan-wook Park
Writers: Chan-wook Park, Seo-Gyeong Jeong
Running time: 105 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): 15

Genre: Comedy/Drama/Romance
UK Release date: 4th April 2008

Watched on Sky+ Sunday 31st January 2012.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

I had never heard of this South Korean film before and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I found it very charming with some great subtle use of CGI to illustrate the inner thoughts of the main characters. I know there are a few out there that fear the subtitle and for those I’m afraid your worst fears may be realised… It does have subtitles. For me, not usually a problem, but I did struggle to follow the plot at the beginning, it soon settled down though and easy reading from then on. I’ll give you my thoughts after this brief summary.

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK - 6 Young woman, Cha Young-goon has been sent to a mental institution. Her grandmother had been sent into care sometime earlier and, it seems, this had tipped her over the edge. She keeps it a secret, but she believes she is a Cyborg and she has to rescue her grandmother. In order to do that though, she must relieve herself of all thoughtfulness, sympathy…etc. She is befriended by Park Il-sun, another patient who has a habit of stealing things. The staff becomes worried about Young-goon when she refuses to eat. They lock her away but Il-sun has fallen in love with her and may be able to help her. I will leave it there or the Spoiler Police will be fitting cybernetic implants to me (again).

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK - 3 I love the subtle use of CGI in this film, you can tell a lot of hard work and imagination has been applied to make it look so good. It’s a film full of interesting characters and great performances, but the two that stood out were Su-jeong Lim as Cha Young-goon and Rain as Park Il-sun. Both were really excellent, particularly Su-jeong Lim, her performance was quite stunning.

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK - 2 This is a very engaging and charming film with lots of subtle plot twists that keep the audience guessing. It is essentially a love story, but one with a difference and one that (I hope) others will enjoy as much as I did. Great acting, great direction and great production, although it’s not altogether perfect; I’ve already mentioned the slightly confusing beginning; I still enjoyed it very much though. It’s another of a growing number of South Korean films I am discovering and long may it continue… Recommended.

My score: 7.7/10

IMDb Score: 7.0/10 (based on 8,808 votes at the time of going to press).
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0497137/

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Tomatometer’ Score: 90/100 (based on 10 reviews counted at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Audience’ Score: 80/100 (based on 11,824 user ratings counted at the time of going to press).
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/im_a_cyborg_but_thats_ok/#

If you’re crazy enough… You can find me on Facebook at:
http://facebook.com/andy.steel3

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK - 5 FAVOURITE QUOTES:
Park Il-sun: Psycho.
Cha Young-goon: I'm not a psy-cho. I'm a cy-borg.

Cha Young-goon: Mom, I think I'm a cyborg.
Young-goon's mother: ...What is that?
Cha Young-goon: I think it's kind of... like a robot?
Young-goon's mother: ...Have you missed your period? Because you're a 'sy-bor'?

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK - 1 LINKS:
(Note: All were working at the time of going to press)
Trailer:

No comments: