Sunday 4 March 2012

Film Review: HANNA (2011)

Hanna - poster Director: Joe Wright
Writers: Seth Lochhead (Story/Screenplay), David Farr (Screenplay)
Running time: 111 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): 12

Genre: Action/Adventure/Thriller
UK Release date: 6th May 2011

Watched on Sky+ Sunday 4th March 2012.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

This is one of those films that I have waited a long time to see. I remember when it came out I was slightly more than intrigued by its premise. Of course it didn’t make it to my local cinema and so I waited patiently for it to turn up on TV; a slightly muted response from the critics precluded a DVD purchase. Well, as you can probably guess, my long wait ended today and a viewing was arranged for this morning. I will give you my thoughts after this very brief summary.

Hanna - 5 Hanna has been brought up by her father, Erik, in northern Finland ever since she was very young. Home schooled with the help of an Encyclopaedia and trained in all forms of combat, he has been preparing her for what will inevitably come; but he will let her decide when the time is right. Eventually the time comes and he must leave her to fend for herself as agents move in. She is taken to a secret base where a certain CIA agent, Marissa, is very interested in her case. Hanna is not one for lying down though and she makes her escape. It’s now a chase and Hanna has to get to her father, who is now making his way to a pre-arranged rendezvous. She also has find out just what is so special about herself. I will leave it there or the Spoiler Police (Thrillers Division) will be tapping my phone (again).

Hanna Really well made with some excellent fight scenes and action sequences; hats off to the stunt guys (& gals). I thought all the performances were very good, although I do have to single out Cate Blanchett as Marissa; she played the cold-hearted baddy very well indeed. Also worthy of note were; Saoirse Ronan who did an excellent job as Hanna; Eric Bana who was very good as Erik; Jessica Barden who did a good job as Sophie; Aldo Maland as her little brother Miles; Olivia Williams as Rachel, Jason Flemyng as Sebastian and Tom Hollander as Isaacs.

Hanna - 7 Although I quite enjoyed this film I felt it suffered, as many do these days, from the target audience it was aimed at and hence it’s certification. To tell this story with any conviction, I believe, a much tougher edge needed to be given to it. However, it did what it said on the tin and I cannot knock it for that. One thing I did like, amongst others, was the fact that the narrative did not fall into the trap of being so predictable that it became a chore to watch. Over all, quite enjoyable without being great… Even so… Recommended.

My score: 6.8/10.

IMDb Score: 6.9/10 (based on 68,330 votes at the time of going to press).
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0993842/

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Tomatometer’ Score: 71/100 (based on 203 reviews counted at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Audience’ Score: 66/100 (based on 60,901 user ratings counted at the time of going to press).
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hanna/

If you’re crazy enough… You can find me on Facebook at:
http://facebook.com/andy.steel3

Hanna - 4 FAVOURITE QUOTES:
[first lines]
Hanna: I just missed your heart.

Hanna: Adapt or die.
Erik: Think on your feet.
Hanna: Even when I'm sleeping.

Hanna - 3 Hanna: Can we still be friends?
Sophie: I don't know. I mean, I don't really know who you are, do I?
Hanna: That's just it. Neither do I.

Marissa: Why now, Erik?
Erik: Kids grow up.

Hanna - 6 LINKS:
(Note: All were working at the time of going to press)
Official Site: http://www.hannathemovie.com/
Official Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HannaMovie
Trailer:

1 comment:

sharshar said...

I haven't seen the movie Hanna but my co-worker at DISH said she really liked it. It was interesting that an assassin was a female and young. I just got Blockbuster @Home and ran across it so I saved it to my movie list and it arrived in the mail the other day. I plan on watching it when I end my shift so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.