Monday 4 June 2012

Film Review: PROMETHEUS (2012)

Prometheus - poster Director: Ridley Scott
Writers: Jon Spaihts, Damon Lindelof
Running time: 124 mins (approx)
Certification (UK): 15

Genre: Sci-Fi/Action/Horror
UK Release date: 1st June 2012

Watched at the Picture House (K-town) Sunday 3rd June 2012.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW.

One of the most eagerly anticipated films of the year (so far) always brings with it some disappointment. Maybe people’s expectations are too high from all the promotion and glitz the Fox machine puts out, but I’ll try to put that aside and give you my honest opinion. From what I can gather, it’s had a bit of a mixed response so far but I must say I’m on the more positive side of the fence. Here’s a brief summary before I tell you just why (I promise I will try to make it as spoiler-free as I can… I know there are many out there that haven’t seen it yet).

Prometheus - 3 When scientists discover evidence of early humans worshiping giant beings pointing to a constellation of stars, they decide to investigate. The constellation in question is not visible from Earth with the naked eye and so, with the backing of the Wayland Corporation, an expedition is mounted. Representing the corporation is Meredith Vickers, a tough cookie who is only interested in the interests of the company. Among the scientists is Elizabeth Shaw, who will have a pivotal role to play in future events. Prometheus is captained by Janek, a tough, uncompromising leader. Oh, and then there’s David, an android who is the invention of Peter Weyland, the aged head of the company. The ship carries them to a barren planet where they find something that is not just a threat to them, but a threat to all mankind. I will stop there or the Spoiler Police (Prometheus Division) will have me cleaning up black goo (again).

First off, the film looks stunning, Ridley Scott has a great eye and all of his films look fantastic. I saw the film in 2D and I still thought it looked great (I won’t join in the 3D debate here). I thought the stand-out performances came from both Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw and Michael Fassbender as David, who particularly shone. Charlize Theron did a decent job as Meredith Vickers, as did Idris Elba as Janek. Also worthy of note was Guy Pearce as Peter Weyland.

Prometheus - 8 There has been a lot of debate about whether this is a prequel to Ridley Scott’s film ‘Alien’ (1979). Well, I have it on good authority that it pre-dates that film and the planet they land on is not the one depicted in that film. In fact, I’ve heard Scott say in interview that there’s enough material for two more films to bring us up to the point where ‘Alien’ starts. But I digress, personally, I found the film quite engrossing and some of the ideas about the origins of life on Earth very interesting. Yes, there are parallels to be drawn between this as ‘Alien’, but even so, I found the faster pace and the visuals did just enough to make up for any weaknesses in the plot. You have to remember that its fantasy and its entertainment, as soon as you start to take it too seriously you’re probably going to be disappointed. I was prepared to go with it and consequently very much enjoyed the experience. Would I watch it again, hell yes!... RECOMMENDED.

My score: 8.6/10

IMDb Score: 8.1/10 (based on 9,944 votes at the time of going to press).
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/

MetaScore: 63/100: (Based on 5 critic reviews provided by Metacritic.com at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Tomatometer’ Score: 79/100 (based on 42 reviews counted at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes ‘Audience’ Score: 87/100 ‘Liked it’ (based on 37,871 user ratings counted at the time of going to press).
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prometheus_2012/

If you’re crazy enough… You can find me on Facebook at:
http://facebook.com/andy.steel3

Prometheus - 4 FAVOURITE QUOTES:
Meredith Vickers: If you find any alien beings down there do not engage them, do not talk to them, do not do anything but report back to me.
Charlie Holloway: Ms Vickers, is there an agenda that you're not telling us about?

Peter Weyland: To those of you who know me: you will be aware by now that my ambition is unlimited. You know that I will settle for nothing short of greatness, or I will die trying. To those of you who do not yet know me: allow me to introduce myself. My name is Peter Weyland, and if you'll indulge me, I'd like to change the world.

Prometheus - 7 Charlie Holloway: [pointing at diagrams] These are images of archaeological digs all over the Earth: ancient civilizations that shared no contact. And yet, the same pictogram on every last one of them.
Fifield: A star map?
Elizabeth Shaw: No, an invitation.
Fifield: From whom?

Elizabeth Shaw: My God, we were so wrong...

Prometheus - 2 LINKS:
(Note: All were working at the time of going to press)
Official Site: http://www.projectprometheus.com/
Official Site (UK): http://www.prometheus-movie.co.uk/
Official Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Prometheus
Trailer:

No comments: